"Distance" ((Inuyoko Mass #52))

"Distance"
by Inuyoko
Originally read in deoch 221 on the 28th sun of the 6th moon.
((07/23/2026))

Hello, everyone. My name is Inuyoko T’Alveni. I am a Priestess of this Shrine, and a member of its clergy since deoch 53. When I last gave Mass, it was a bittersweet sun as I wrapped up an entire cycle of consistency and began to look onward towards a period of distance. Perhaps one could say a period of rest. Of rejuvenation. Of revival. 

There is a saying that distance makes the heart grow fonder. I feel confident in its verisimilitude. I have taken to watching from a less active role, and seeing the cycle continue to turn, and it fills me with joy. What can be felt and observed in these times of our lives is not merely the product of abstractions. It is the personalization of the cycle itself. Our font of inspiration, creativity, love, and so on…it is not an infinite resource. But it is borne of the divine gift, and its source *is* infinite. As individuals, it is important for us to be mindful of what we take and what we give from and to it. We are compelled to do – to work, to share, to create – but eventually, we must yield to our temperance. There is a danger which we tempt to our own detriment if we continuously ignore the warning signs. The very link that our spark creates can wither away and sometimes leave us forever.

This is a fact that I am reminded of whenever I have time to step away and breathe a bit. Even as I lose steam, there are still so many others who carry on. And when I am here and active, there are others who are away and resting. I reflect on those who have entered this period of rest and never recovered. Sometimes this is the natural course of things. But even in those circumstances, the cycle still turns. Sparks of long ago have left an impact, through their work or even those they left behind, and that is enough to foster rebirth in a different way.

Rarely is this state of things the result of deliberate action. At least not on the larger scale. It happens because of us, but it also happens in spite of us. What I am saying is that while we should always watch and listen for the call of action, we mustn’t be misled into overexertion. We should heed Deoch’s beseechment of “Aisling, do,” but remember that there is no timeline. We are part of an immensely complex tapestry, shared not only with our fellow humans, but with other societies, and by the grace of Deoch the gods themselves. It extends through space and time, and we are but a small part, but notably, the most important part. Some may look at this state of things. Point to those around them as they point back at us, and consider that surely if we are all so important, then none of us are that important at all. But I believe this framing is missing the point altogether. In my mind, it is deeply Deochan to see and understand this seeming contradiction for what it is: His most important gift to us. Embrace it, but do not resist the cycle. Trust that you are part of something greater. Endings will come regardless of our resistance, but if you welcome the proper course of things, they will turn over in time, and be reborn more beautiful than ever.

I look forward to many more deochs inspired by you all. Blinded by your spark, but seeing things with utmost clarity. 



Comments

Popular Posts